Welcome! I am the Deputy Director of the Institute of Philosophy at the University of London. We aim to promote and facilitate high quality research in philosophy, making it available to the widest possible audience both inside and outside the UK's academic community. We are based in the Senate House in Bloomsbury, which inspired Orwell's description of the Ministry of Truth in Nineteen Eighty-Four.
I am also a Visiting Research Fellow on the project ‘Knowledgeable Democracy: A Social-Epistemological Inquiry’, based at VU Amsterdam.
Beyond these roles, I hold a Tutorial Fellowship at the New College of the Humanities, where I teach Ethics, Epistemology, and Philosophy of Science.
I received my PhD from the University of Cambridge (King's College). The main area of my research is epistemology, especially social epistemology. My work centers on the value of knowledge and how epistemic language (e.g., 'knows', 'understands', 'rational') contributes to human cooperation, survival, and flourishing. Currently, I am writing a book on this topic titled What's the Point of Knowledge? I also work in cognitive science, ethics, and the philosophy of language.
Before moving to London, I was a Bader Postdoctoral Fellow at Queen's University (2016-17) and Postdoctoral Researcher (and Project Manager) for the $4.5 million Varieties of Understanding project at Fordham University in New York City (2013-16) . In 2015, I was also one of four Young Philosophers selected to give talks at De Pauw University.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: Robin McKenna and I are organizing a conference in London on Political Epistemology.
RECENT AND UPCOMING TALKS
- MANCEPT, Manchester, Sept 11-13, 2017. Talk: Knowledge in a Post-Truth World
- New Trends in Epistemology, Hamburg, Oct 5-7, 2017. Talk: Why Purists Should Be Skeptics
- University of Vienna, Nov 17, 2017. Talk: Skepticism and the Point of Knowledge
- DHEPCAT Conference, Delft University, Dec 2017. Talk: Knowledge in a Post-Truth World
- American Philosophical Association, Eastern Division, Jan 3-7, 2018. Talk: What's the Point of Understanding?
- Philosophy Guest Lecture, KU Leuven, Jan 29, 2018. Talk: What's the Point of Understanding?
- Philosophy Research Seminar, New College of the Humanities, Feb 2018. Talk: What's the Point of Understanding?
- American Philosophical Association, Central Division, Feb 2018. Talk: Thought-Experimenting on Knowledge
- The Epistemic Significance of Non-Epistemic Factors, Osnabrück, June 2018. Talk: Epistemic Universalism: An Aristotelian Approach